”A quiet little gem of an album” is how one Sunday Times reviewer described this Cash-tribute album by Scottish son-of-Americana, Owens.
”A fitting tribute and a wonderfully executed project” said Spiral Earth while Netrhythms praised the Owens original ‘The Night Johnny Cash Played San Quentin’ (and bonus track on this release) as “a dead-man-walking prison song that perfectly channels the country legend’s spirit.”
Many artists approach a ‘covers album’ with trepidation – but when the jury came back on ‘Cash Back (Songs I Learned From Johnny)’ it was in full-blown praise for the execution of a set of songs that mixes the familiar with the more obscure with relish and panache.
Ultimately, whether they be Cash compositions or covers of songs he covered, the sum amounts to a total treat!
“Scotland’s most engaging and haunting singer-songwriter” IRVINE WELSH
- No Expectations (Jagger/Richards) 02:56
- A Little At A Time (Cash/Terry) 02:27
- I Still Miss Someone (J Cash/R Cash Jnr) 03:35
- Give My Love To Rose (Cash) 03:41
- Delia’s Gone (Toops/Silbersdorf/Cash) 02:54
- Wayfaring Stranger (Trad) 04:04
- Flesh And Blood (Cash) 03:13
- Without Love (Lowe) 02:58
- Sunday Morning Coming Down (Kristofferson) 04:31
- Cocaine Carolina (David Allan Coe) 03:00
- Girl From The North Country (Dylan) 03:21
- The Night Johnny Cash Played San Quentin (Owens) 04:10